WordPress has been a popular choice for Content Management System (CMS) for most bloggers. And it’s a fact. Everyday, millions of WordPress blogs are being setup for one reason, simplicity. It’s probably one of the most straightforward and user friendly CMS around that you can learn in just a few minutes of YouTube tutorial and hands on tinkering. Not to mention its simplicity in implementing on page SEO.
For podcasters who are not that techy or doesn’t have the time to tinker, but are more concerned with producing great quality podcast, WordPress offers a great option with the use of plugins. You can find various plugins that can either be free or paid, but the most important of all, is to find a plugin that truly works. Let me share with you a few plugins that I’ve found.
BluBrry Powerpress Plugin
This is probably the most popular WordPress podcasting plugin. It’s offered as a free plugin, but you can also have the option to get your media hosting with them as well as an integrated statistics report.
It offers full support for iTunes podcast and has a lot of powerful features to brag including:
- Media size and duration detection: Enter your media URL and let the PowerPress do the rest.
- Category Casting: Add media support to your WordPress category feeds.
- Custom Media Channels: Distribute multiple formats (audio/video) and versions (short/full length).
- Tag/Keyword Podcast Feeds (Tag Casting): Add iTunes compliant attributes to your tag feeds.
- FeedBurner Support: Use FeedBurner.com to host your feeds.
- *User Role Management: Control which users in your blog can create media.
- **Custom Post Types: Use the new Custom Post Types feature found in WordPress 3.0
- Diagnostics: Check to see if your server is configured to support all of the available features in PowerPress.
- WordPress MU: Blubrry PowerPress is compatible with WordPress MU
- User Role Management requires a separate plugin to manage WordPress Roles and Capabilities.
- Configure how Blubrry writes media (ID3) tags within PowerPress settings.
The plugin also enables you to embed video players.
PodPress WordPress Plugin
Podpress is another popular WP podcasting plugin that offers a well rounded list of features. Developed by Tim Berger
- Full featured and automatic feed generation (RSS2, iTunes and ATOM and XSPF playlist)
- Podcast Download stats, with graphs.
- View MP3 files ID3 tags when your Posting
- Control over where the player will display within your post and what it will look like.
- Support for various formats, including Video Podcasting
- Supports unlimited number of media files.
- Automatic Media player for MP3, OGG, OGV, MP4, M4A, M4V, MOV, QT, FLV, ASF, WMA, WMV, AVI, RM, and more, with inline and Popup Window support.
- Supports also PDF and EPUB files
- Preview image for videos
- Support for seperate Category podcasts
- Support for Premium Content (Pay Only)
Cincopa WordPress Media Plugin
Cincopa is an all in one media plugin that makes adding videos, audios and galleries a breeze. But there’s a catch, if you want to use this plugin you can get the free version (with ads) or you can upgrade to the premium version for $89.95 to get the full features:
- fully customize the look and feel of your podcast player size, color, autostart, etc.
- 7 skins to choose from
- allow users the option to download podcast items directly from your website
- get remote access to the Cincopa “cloud” drive so you can retrieve and manage your files from any device, anywhere
- add images, menus, and variable playlists to your podcasts including album cover art from the database
- preview your podcast on the fly before you publish it with our simple-to-use interface
- embed your podcast plugins in your pages and posts in three easy steps, wizard-style
- place your podcasts simply into any widgetized sidebar
- write your own applications using the Cincopa API for developers
- free and premium levels available
- Free podcast hosting (400MB storage and 200MB bandwidth per month).